• Reduce text

    Reduce text
  • Restore text size

    Restore text size
  • Increase the text

    Increase the text
  • Print

Post-doct : research engineer position in the ecotoxicology of soils
Deadline for applications
Date of publication


Details on the type of contract
Postdoctoral contract
Duration of contract
30 mmonths

selon grille salariale Inra


Name of unit of assignment
UMR1402 ECOSYS Ecologie fonctionnelle et écotoxicologie des agroécosystèmes
Address of unit of assignment
Region of assignment
Paris Region


Working environment

In recent years, there has been a debate about the use of fertile agricultural land for growing non-food crops. The mobilization of marginal soils has been suggested as an avenue to reduce the pressure on cropland, but the actual technical possibilities along with the environmental consequences of such choices have not been evaluated yet. This job offer addresses this broad issue in the context of the EU-funded project "MAGIC - Marginal lands for Growing Industrial Crops: Turning a burden into an opportunity” (Horizon 2020).

This 4-year project aims at promoting the sustainable development of resource-efficient and economically profitable industrial crops grown on marginal lands, considering that industrial crops can provide valuable resources for high added value products and bioenergy. The project comprises 25 partners, of which 40% are SMEs and large enterprises, while the remaining 60% are universities and research institutes, featuring the French National Institute for Agricultural Research (INRA) and in particular its EcoSys laboratory located in the Paris area (https://www6.versailles-grignon.inra.fr/ecosys/). Among the wide range of marginality factors for land, this offer focuses on weakly contaminated agricultural soils on which food production can be questioned. It corresponds to a task lead by the Ecotoxicology research group at Ecosys, in a workpackage aimed at studying innovative crop management practices. The proposed work involves the setting up and monitoring of in situ biofertilization trials on plants with high biomass. Crops will be established on soils contaminated by either industrial activities or low-quality biosolids application. Biofertilization will consist of introducing earthworms into soils to promote the recycling of nutrients, and to quantify the positive and negative externalities induced by this practice on the development of non-food biomass crops. Before the in situ field trial, a cosme test will be setup under controlled conditions, in which the performances of the plants will be evaluated, in the presence and absence of these soil organisms.


Planned tasks :

Literature review on the topics covered by the project

Analysis and synthesis of literature and analytical data

Setup of greenhouse trials (under controlled conditions) for miscanthus and switchgrass crops

Maturation of earthworms and incubations in cosmes

 Assistance in situ field trials of crops with a farmer in charge of these trials

Design of the biofertilization experimentation (introduction of worms) and in situ setup

 Monitoring of tests and trials, data collection and exploitation

 Presentation of results (at project meetings, national / international conferences ...)

Drafting and publication of articles reporting on the experimental results.


This work is led by the Ecotoxicology research group at Ecosys located in the research Center of Versailles, in collaboration with the Eco&phy research group located in Grignon

Training and skills required

Candidates should hold a PD in biological sciences, bio-engineering or equivalent. A background on agricultural soils and soil organisms would be appreciated.

Abilities to work in field trials and laboratory, good teamwork and project management skills

Good communication skills (written and oral) and English proficiency

Motivation for the job, pro-activeness and autonomy


Dr Isabelle Lamy (isabelle.lamy@inra.fr) and Dr Céline Pelosi (celine.pelosi@inra.fr) to whom applicants must send CV, motivation letter, and the names of two referees.


Isabelle Lamy / Céline Pelosi