• Reduce text

    Reduce text
  • Restore text size

    Restore text size
  • Increase the text

    Increase the text
  • Print

Research directors. © INRA

Research directors

Remuneration and career development

If you are successful at one of the competitive entry examinations organised by INRA, you will obtain the status of a State civil servant. The remuneration of civil servants is defined – like all the rules for career management – on the basis of statutory and regulatory arrangements determined by the government.

By the Human Resources Department, translated by Vicky Hawken
Updated on 01/22/2019
Published on 05/01/2012

Basis for remuneration

When you take up your post, you will be appointed to a specific category, determined by the competitive entry through which you passed.  Each category comprises grades and scales through which you can progress.  

Category Grade
DR: Research Director DR2, DR1, DR Ex
CR: Research Scientist CR2, CR1
IR: Research Engineer IR2, IR1, IR HC
IE: Study Engineer IE2, IE1, IE HC
AI: Assistant Engineer -
TR: Research Technician TR No, TR Sup, TR Ex
ATP: Principal Research Assistant ATP2, ATP1

Your scale determines the index level at which you will be paid.  The value of an index point has been equal to €4.69 since 1st February 2017.   Taking account of your length of service in your remuneration depends on the types of posts you held previously and the organisation for which you worked: public or private sector.


Bonuses and allowances

- The research bonus (PR) is given monthly to all researchers, depending on their grade and category.  

- The research participation bonus (PPRS) is designed for all engineers, managers and technicians. It is paid monthly, and is dependent on category and grade.

- The informatics bonus is also paid monthly and is designed for staff carrying out certain functions and under certain conditions; for example: project leader, analyst, programmer, network technician.

- The teaching allowance is paid monthly to agents who provide teaching to others.

- The residence allowance is paid monthly and depends on the geographical assignment of an agent.

- A family salary supplement may be added, as a function of the number of dependent children.

Career development for researchers

Promotion to a higher scale within the same grade is dependent on length of service.

- 2nd class Research Scientists (CR2) can request promotion to 1st class (CR1), which is decided by the competent Specialised Scientific Committee (CSS), on condition of proof of at least 4 years of service in the grade of CR2.

- 1st class Research Scientists (CR1) who have served for a minimum of 3 years in this grade, can attempt competitive entry into the category of 2nd class Senior Scientists (DR2). This constitutes a real change of profession.  The presentation of a project, and the reasons for it, are essential factors in this process.

- 2nd class Research Directors (DR2) can be promoted to 1st class (DR1) following review of their application by a Promotions Committee.

Career development for engineers, managers and technical/administrative staff

- Promotion up a scale within the same grade occurs as a function of length of service.  However, this may be accelerated if proposed by the head of department and approved by a Joint Administrative Committee.

- As a general rule, promotion to a higher category is dependent on internal competition, which is open to all agents who meet certain conditions relative to length of service.  The staff statutes also provide for a limited number of options for promotion to a different category without passing through a competitive process (if proposed by the head of department and approved by the joint committees concerned).

- Access to the grade of hors classe Research Engineer (IR HC) and exceptional class Research Technician (TR Ex) is possible either via a professional selection board or, for TR, if proposed by the head of department and approved by the joint committees concerned.